[240] M47 Getriebe überholt

• Hello,

Sorry for the English, but I'm from Israel. (und mein deutsch ist schlecht).
    I own a 1984 Volvo 240 wagon, with a manual M47 gearbox which is very noisy in gears 1,2,3.
    4th gear is quiet and 5th is a bit noisy.

I'm looking to buy an overhauled M47 gearbox. It is impossible to find one in Israel, so I try here.
    Does anyone has a rebuilt M47 for sale? can you direct me to someone or some workshop that has this type of gearbox?

Thanks,
    Jonatan

• hi Jonatan,
    Actually you will not find a rebuilt M47 in germany.
    Nobody does that work here because all of the needed spare parts are more expensive than a good used one.
    So, only thing to tell you, is: try to find a good used one here or from the good known sellers like
    Olaf Maronde in Soest. Or Jochen Ruopp in Drakenburg....
    or maybe somebody here has another good idea....

Yours
    Alex

• Hi Jonatan,
    an additional note: check carefully, which model of M47 is suited for your car - not all may be.
    As I remember, the 1984 240 uses a mechanically driven speedometer which needs direct connection to the gearbox.
    All later models have an electrically driven speedometer picking up the signal from the rear axle.
    May be I am wrong, but check your type very caryfully in advance!
    Substituting in addition the speedometer and the cable wouldn't be a big issue, but exchanging the rear axle is it!
    In your situation it could be useful to look for an old M46+Overdrive in combination with the correct Kardan.

• Hello Jonatan.

1984 Volvo 240

You can open the Gearbox und dismount and inspect all bearings, then replace the ball bearings and the problem can persist because the housing has expanded, that sounds so because in yours gearbox the gears 1-3 make noise und not only the 5. gear. Better you search for another Gearbox: Up to 1985 (86?) is the speedometer at the gearbox, so you need the old M47 - very rare.
    Tip search for a M46 (stronger) from a Volvo 240/740/760 84-85. Then you need the longer speedometer cabel (2000mm), the electric for the Overdrive and the shorter cardan, yes that is expensive.
    I found my M47 (>89) in Schweden at Bildesbasen : https://www.bildelsbasen.se/se…%C3%B6verv%C3%A4xel/Alla/
    or M47 https://www.bildelsbasen.se/se…%A5da-manuell-5_vxl/Alla/
    info, EJ HASTGIVARE = no Speedometer

To you Gearbox: Noise when you drive slow and without power, or only with power transmission?
    I tried to us a other thicker Oel with grease as mix, but it is to cool for grease in Germany to use it all the time, maybe possible in Israel, good oel with mos2 grease, would be an attempt :-).

Regards
    Jörn

• Thank you everyone for the answers.
    My gearbox is an M47 with speedometer cable at the gearbox. So I understand this is more rare, not such good news.
    The noise is most of the time, in some occasions it seems to be quieter (without power for example), but it is there.
    I will try to find another gearbox, maybe in Sweden, but if no success, I will remove mine from the car after the winter season, and try to replace the bearings.

Jonatan